Wednesday 25 July 2007

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

Going down to South Park, gonna leave my woes behind... gonna see if I can't unwind...
(mumble-mumble-gibberish-gibberish - you really don't want to know what those lyrics are, trust me.)

Well we had us a lovely drive on Saturday, once we finally got a car. I had heard that there was a start up fibre festival in Fairplay at their annual county show.

Then I discovered that Fairplay is in South Park! It still has buildings that indicate it was the local community centre of South Park. We could go to South Park!

Well that decided it, didn't it?

Off we set on a trip to Fairplay, around Denver and through some foothills and up Turkey Creek Canyon (didn't see us any turkeys - see I am learning to talk like the locals! ;-).


(didn't realise my driving was that hairy! Look at the angle the pic is on! Whoopsy! Wasn't me driving, nosiree no! I was not allowed to drive that car one mile, let alone 350...)

Nathan suggested we get one of these for our front yard back 'ome,

but we figured that it would take up the whole front yard, and maybe we'd have to demolish the house too. Also we'd probably need to get a permit from the council. So alas, we won't be getting one and sending it home.

Along the way it occurred to us that maybe we should've brought some rain gear, mebbe even just a jacket since we were climbing up to about 3000m, or 10,000', and it would be colder there.



Up into bigger and bigger hills, along the US 285





Through clouds of smoke belched out by THE most disgusting U-Haul van anyone e'er did see!

And over the last big hill, over the Kenosha Pass, onto the plateau.






My goodness, how magnificent! You really need to click on the pics to see the bigger ones but excuse the reflections. This great wide flat area ringed all around by mountains. We figured it must've been a lake bed or something that was filled up with glacial stuff. But we didn't really know - Wikipedia has a lot of good info on South Park. See? We didn't really know. For whatever reason, that whole basin is pretty darned flat, yet it is surrounded by many lumpy bits.



Up and over one last pass,


Then we discovered the charming little town of Fairplay.



Ahem. They may get lots of tourists hoping to find South Park but umm, yeah.



The county fair and fiber market were interesting, not that I have any pics from it. There are still people who appear to be real cowboys out there, and girls who dress up in tight jeans and purple satin shirts who get to be the county fair queen and princesses. Nathan got to talk to a few fibre ladies whilst I chatted a bit and browsed a lot (but that is for Yarnivorous!). I sorta felt like a real city gal, but I am! Even to the point of skirting the horse and cow dung, but I also had sandals on and didn't want the added extra fertiliser on my feet. Also our rental car, a Corolla, didn't really fit in with the other cars there - like it would've fitted on the back of half of them.


The clouds started pushing in and it was time to move on.

So we said farewell to Fairplay and went in search of new scenes.

1 comment:

gibbering said...

I was wondering why you stopped posting,cause it didnt occur to me you started a NEW BLOG!

:)

is n going ok yet? i'm happy to email him but i wasnt sure if he wanted to talk about stuff, i'm always available if he wants to though