Sunday 8 July 2007

No sniping please

All,

Please don't use my blog as a forum for sniping at either me (for my ignorance or because I am being a bit naughty) or at others. If you have issues with me then send me a (nice) email, showing me what I am doing wrong and offering a better way to do stuff.

Y'know why I don't want my blog used as a comments sniping range?

It upsets me.

It admittedly doesn't take much to upset me at the moment. I've moved 17,000 or so kilometres from home. I have no family or good friends here, certainly noone that I feel confident that I can beg favours of. If I ask something of someone, I feel that I am imposing unduly upon them. I am missing familiarity, my friends, my family, my (old) car, my cats, my stash, my favourite foods, a decent loaf of gf/df bread....

We technically had to be out of this hotel today - it is a great way to wake up and find the service charges shoved under the door - but Nathan just fixed us up for another day, cos our lease starts tomorrow.

We have no car. We have to move our meagre accumulation of household goods, two suitcases and one spinning wheel three miles across town on bikes. Yes, I do now have a bike. You try setting up a new house on no money when you can only carry the stuff home in your backpack or your panniers on your (husband's) bike. A bike trailer is beyond our means at the moment, though I can see we will have to afford it and car hire again. It just means that we will have to buy no more stuff for our new place, like chairs. I am not sure how Nathan will cope without a chair. I can sit on the floor no probs but he can't.

Half the time when I open my mouth or do something I offend people here because I don't know The Rules. The Rules here are different to what they are Back 'Ome. Things here are close enough to being like home that every single dissonance, and there are plenty of them, jars a *lot*. It is a version of culture shock, or even the uncanny valley in action.

Now if *I* sound snippy and/or upset, you know why.

Next time - more photos, hopefully. After that? Dunno. I don't know when we'll have net access again. I might have worked my way up to making pithy blog posts again by then.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I am sorry to hear you are having people snipe at each other on your blog. :-( I am sending you some happy and peacful energy your way. I hope it helps.

On a Yarny note: my gf is purchasing a wheel and is going to let me try it! I get to place with the yummy fiber that I got from you! I am really excited! ty...just in case i hadn't said ty enough already.

Annette M. said...

Dear Lynne: I am so glad you are here in the States. It takes time to adjust to a new place and to learn the ins and outs of the culture. I'm sorry that there are people who don't understand that and feel free to vent their "corrections" Good manners are universal but some have a difficult time applying them