Wednesday 20 February 2008

On moving

In short, moving is a PITA.

In more wordy terms, moving even our pitiful amount of stuff that we have here in the US is still a PITA. The removalists asked twice if we had a bed base. Umm, nope, we still have a mattress on the floor. (Nathan's feet dangle off the end - he needs a much longer mattress but that equals some expense and if we put this current mattress up on a base, his feet would dangle a long way to find the floor instead of being propped up on a pile of material.) We had 100 items moved (though I think labelling each piece of a desk that was knocked apart is cheating, as is labelling each bucket and rubbish bin). We got most of our stuff here safe and sound, though the cheap bookcase is worse for wear and a couple of plastic items will never be watertight again.

See those boxes?


From just one of those boxes, I unpacked this much paper:


After a while I got bored with neatly folding and squashing each piece/bundle of paper. Instead I threw it on the ground. This enormous pile came out of another box:


It was the crockery crates wot did it. And the ones with food in them - they wrapped up anything that was open and most of the stuff that wasn't. Some of the things that came with us amazed me, but then again they did come out of Nathan's cupboard and he hadn't cleaned it out. I am hoping that all of this will be taken away by the removalists soon for recycling (I put it all in a nice big box and flattened all the other boxes bar three little ones we are keeping :-).


The lounge never looked spacious even without stuff in it but after our small collection of furniture and large amount of junk moved in along the walls, it started looking a little squishy.



The study? Once we ran out of room elsewhere, everything was directed to the study, which is going to struggle if we have visitors as they will not fit in unless we become very tidy people who put everything away all the time.


Ahem.

I was very proud of myself. I managed to unpack and stow away most of Our Stuff in only two days. Two weeks later and I still have not managed to put away the last 5% of Our Stuff. I have sorted out lots of stuff for the recycle bin, some stuff for the charity bin and some that is just plain rubbish. Hooray for me! Double hooray for not having to move a full on household of stuff!

1 comment:

mrspao said...

We still have a few boxes we haven't unpacked from when we moved almost a year ago!