Tuesday 14 August 2007

On homesickness

Homesickness is a PITA. You think you are travelling OK, then something suddenly comes and bites you in the butt and you sit around feeling wanty of something familiar. I've been avoiding it by keeping busy (ie shopping and checking out the thrift stores for jumpers to shred into yarn) but today is a slow, hot day and I only have about 80 cents in my wallet. I've been to the library and picked up some books I had on hold - one is an Alice Starmore knitting book but it turns out to be one on ganseys, not her fair isle ones. Dang! I've been to a yarn shop and dropped off my yellow bear. I've been to Home Depot and checked out storage options, Ryobi one+ kits (we love one+, we have it at home and it is great for home handypersons!) and oddly enough the kitchens. Very disappointed in the kitchens - where are the pull out whole cupboard pantries, etc? I love looking at the weird storage organising things for kitchens. It seems Australians are kitchen snobs - we have so many kitchen places getting in the latest designs from Europe.

Looking at pictures of the cats is probably a wrong move, eh? Like looking at pictures of an ex when you've just broken up, except you don't sit and cry miserably, you just feel a bit sad. Anyway, the sods (cats that is) probably won't even remember us - they haven't exactly pined away.

Homesickness is worst when I have not had anyone to talk to for a while. Even someone in a shop is good enough. Yep, the introvert needs some human interaction. The extravert of us goes completely pear shaped with noone to talk to.

So if you want to talk to us, get online and fire up your chat program. We are on jabber/gaim but I am told that AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger and Zephyr will all talk to gaim. We want to talk to you! I can email you our names/servers if you want to chat and maybe even provide some options for chat programs, but I'm not advertising our identities online! Plus we have webphone and webcam now too (though DH sets all that up - it always needs tweaking, silly stuff!).

1 comment:

mrspao said...

Hug! I feel like a massive dag because I have only just realised that you disappeared from my bloglines. Hope you are doing ok. Do email me and I'll chat with you!