Friday 31 August 2007

A home amongst the treetops

I sat in our study today, our study that is home to boxes, mostly empty boxes, some "green" shopping bags, a hammer and one lonely bookcase.

The study is light and bright and airy, even though it faces north. It looks out into the trees. It was very pleasing to me. At the moment the trees are green but soon enough they will change colour and the leaves will fall.

Whilst I look forward to seeing what Fall is like (we have Autumn in Australia, and autumn means some trees lose their leaves but only the imported ones, 99% of the Australian species keep their leaves, so the colour is not exactly spectacular), I fear months of no leaves on trees and gacky pathetic grass that has lost its colour after being snowed on.

So I guess I had best enjoy the study whilst I can, whilst it looks out onto dancing leaves and sparkles of sunlight (maybe I should move the computer up there out of the loungeroom!). Same with the ever-drawing-in evenings - get out there and enjoy them, quick, quick, like the ephemeral insects I saw dancing in the late afternoon sun today. It really feels like summer is done for now and we are heading for cooler weather. The evenings are cool now, not uncomfortable, just below 20 degrees C. Crickets call incessantly for mates, a sound which I like. It is gentle and soothing, unlike the shrilling of cicadas. The days start cool and warm up - we will still occasionally get temps in the 90sF, but I am hoping we won't get such oppressive heat as we have had recently. A thunderstorm every afternoon is exciting but tedious when you have to ride home on a bike in it....

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Winter may not be as barren as you may think with trees with no leaves...i find it calming actually...sort of restful, like everything is asleep re-gaining energy for next spring and summer...:-) i think leafless trees with snow on them have their own beauty...i like it myself. :-)

mrspao said...

Your study sounds lovely - I'm sure that you'll find you enjoy the changing seasons once they happen.