Friday 18 September 2009

Germany - Munich

Now that I have found a friendly net cafe that runs linux/Ubuntu boxes, I'm uploading some stuff and writing more blog posts up. I feel much safer using a linux box than a windoze box. I know the net can still have sniffers and things just waiting to steal my password but at least the box itself is unlikely to be infected with anything nasty. And I now have it working with an English keyboard, not a German one. And there's a couple of people with NO accent sitting next to me. We do get around.

So, Munich. Gosh I didn't have a good day the first day we were here. Want to hear the litany of disasters?

I couldn't connect to the internet in our 300 euro a night hotel. They charge a euro per 15 minutes after the first free 15 minutes in their business centre. 300 euros a night and no free wifi! Can't believe it. 60 euro a night places have free wifi. Crikey! This meant no looking up German words for please, thank-you, excuse me, etc etc.

munch_karlsplatz

No tea and coffee making facilities in the room either - you have to call room service for that. Now Nathan's work is paying for the room but y'know a 10 euro cup of coffee seems a bit overpriced. I went and bought an electric kettle for 30 euros instead.

munch_centre

A bird pooped on my pants, the lovely new pants that I had put on for the first time that morning.

I only had five hours sleep.

munch_isartor

DH forgot to give me any cash. 5 euros does not get you very far when you have to buy some lunch with it.

I had been told that most people speak English, but most of the people I found didn't! Lots of pointing and hand flapping followed.

Oh there were other things but that will do!

I did find yarn in department stores. Nice sock yarn and some souvenirs for people in SJ. I also saw a lot of interesting buildings, which you can see scattered through this post.

I went for a lovely walk in the Englische garden. It was soooo green.
munch_trees

And I found out why some boys were carrying surfboards in the middle of Munich.

munch_surfing
(That's surfing on a standing wave at the start of one of the garden's rivers.)

No comments: