Saturday 20 December 2008

Uewesual and noice

We've had some quite cold, for the Bay area, weather recently. Mebbe not as unusually cold as further south, but cooler than expected. Maximums have been reaching 9C, mins down to freezing. The frosts have knocked around my baby basil but given they haven't done anything for two months, I am not fussed. The cold hasn't knocked the tomatoes on the head yet - I have flowers still and some baby tomatoes are growing slowly. Stupid things. I should just pull them out cos I want the pots for winter veg.

The other day, we saw this on the hills around San Jose

snow1712a

snow1712t
(Do you like how I got the light rail bridge in there for my FiL? :-)

snow1712w

Yep, that'd be snow. By the time I remembered to get out and take pics, it had melted off quite a bit. I am told there was snow on the Cupertino hills, just a sprinkling and it looked really pretty.

There are a lot of Chinese Pistachios (Pistache chinensis) planted in our area. They like them as street trees. Not totally sure why - they have pretty leaves and pretty autumn colours and pretty bobbles
redtree1712
but they make a helluva mess on the ground. Of course it mainly affects the bike riders and pedestrians, and bike riders and pedestrians are third class citizens. The trees are prettier than the local sycamore (plane tree) but plane trees don't drop as much crud, just leaves and the odd branch.

I'll be able to torture you with more pics now that we have our hard disks sorted. We had a heap of pics on an old machine and it is playing up badly, but now the disk is in a current machine and I access more pics from last year and four months of this year. Hooray!


I was all ready to go for a good bike ride on the day I took the snow pics (Wednesday, I think), but the wind was sooooo cold that my ears threatened to fall off. It is hard to ride when your ears are killing you (mental pic of ears reaching around and throttling one). I am knitting a head band but I've got more than one thing to knit so it is taking a while.

No comments: